Public Transport in Singapore – The Symbol of Excellence
Singapore, though a small nation, has one of the best and most cost-effective networks of public transportation in the world. The Singapore public transport system is efficient and quick because of the country’s extensive, systematic, and comprehensive network of rails, roads, and bus routes. This complex yet the perfect system will take you wherever you want to go. Here are some of the best options of the Singapore public transport system you could use to get around.
Recommended reading: Singapore’s Primary Modes of Transport
Buses are a very important part of the Singapore Public Transport System. Buses cover much of the entire country including bus routes that are not covered by the MRT. Buses are important for accessing places like Jurong Bird Park and Singapore Zoo. Buses will also help when it comes to going to certain areas of the city from the airport through certain bus routes.
Several Singapore bus tours are also available in the city. The Singapore bus tours will take you to various major tourist attractions in the city and these bus routes would have a line of attractions. These are very popular in the city and Singapore bus tours are booked by many tourists. If you want to book a bus ticket online in Singapore, redBus is the best option you have.
To pay for the tickets, the following methods can be used:
- Cash: tourists can pay the bus drivers directly in notes or coins on board. The driver will print out a bus ticket which can be used for that ride. This method is not advisable since bus ticket fares are high when paid in cash.
- EZ-Link Card: every bus would have a card reader at each entrance and you can simply tap the card. Fares paid using the cards are cheaper.
- Singapore Tourist Pass: this offers people unlimited travel on buses, MRT, and LRT until the validity period of the pass. These
can be bought at any Transitlink Ticket Offices.
You would like to read how you can visit the best of of Singapore attractions by bus!
Mass Rapid Transit(MRT)
The MRT is a heavy rail metro system that was opened in 1987 to serve as the main part of the Singapore public transport system. This is the best way to get around the city as it offers a hassle-free and affordable ride to reach major tourist locations of the city.
Most of the tourists will be using the following stations:
- Changi Airport
- City hall
- Raffles Place
- Little India
- Clarke Quay
There are three options to take a ticket for the MRT.
- Standard ticket: if you are staying in Singapore for only 2 or lesser days, then this would be the best option. You can buy tickets from the ticketing and top-up machines in the stations.
- EZ-Link Card: if you are staying in Singapore for a while, then this is a great option. Using the EZ-Link Card, you can save money. Bus, MRT, and LRT fares are cheaper when paid using the card but the card will cost about five dollars. This can be bought at ticket offices at the MRT stations.
- Singapore Tourist Pass: this can also be used to get unlimited rides.
Though these are not as dense as the ones in Paris, Tokyo, or London, they are still used by thousands of people in a day.
Light Rail Transit (LRT)
The LRT is mainly used to connect the MRT network. It is used by people to travel to suburban areas such as:
- Sengkang (northeast of Singapore)
- Bukti Panjang (northwest of Singapore)
- Punggol (northeast of Singapore)
Tourists do not usually use the LRT as the above places are not very popular.
Taxis can be found in queues at the taxi stand or can be flagged down on the road. Usually, taxis can be found in front of major tourist attractions, malls, and hotels.
- Cash: all drivers will accept notes and coins and they will be able to give you change.
- Debit or Credit Card: most of the taxis accept cards but ensure this before you start the journey.
- EZ-Link: when you take SMRT taxis, Premier Taxis, and certain other taxis, you can pay using the EZ-Link card. However, it is best to ask before the journey begins.
Sometimes, during the rush hour, it might be hard to find a taxi. During such situations, you can use various apps to book a taxi.
Singapore also provides bike-sharing initiatives to travel in an eco-friendly way. It is also a great way to move around the city at your own pace. Luxury coaches are also available to specific parts of the city.
Struggle no more with your hotels and bus online tickets when you can access everything online through a simple click. The easy-to-access website will help you with everything from simple bus online tickets, Singapore bus tours, and luxury coaches to hotels and sightseeing tours! Booking your tickets and accommodation is now hassle-free and quick with redBus!