Singapore is the perfect place for an idyllic holiday. This excellent tourist destination is known for its diverse culture, architectural charms, breath-taking natural beauty, mesmerizing beaches, shopping, and delicious cuisines. The city has a plethora of activities and sights, so one can spend days exploring the splendid city.
The Lion City has the reputation of being an expensive tourist destination. But there are plenty of free things to do in Singapore for a budget traveler. From islands to museums, there are several places to visit in Singapore for free and make your Singapore holiday memorable.
You may also like to read: Fantastic Things to Do in Singapore
Here is the list of things that don’t cost in Singapore but should be experienced:
Free Attractions in Singapore:
There are many prominent tourist places to visit in Singapore for free, or they don’t have any entry fee. So for a budget trip to Singapore without missing out on main sights, a visit to these places is a must. The places are:
1) Singapore Botanic Gardens– is a massive garden with over 10,000 species of flora. The garden is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is also known for its three-foot lizards.
Travel Tip: Catch a train on the Circle and Downtown MRT line to reach the Garden.
2) Sentosa Islands- is the man made island that has a scenic boardwalk along the water, and one can view the port at a distance. Sentosa is known for its picturesque beaches, so enjoy a picnic or relax on its shores. Also, visit the Sentosa Nature Discovery to explore various jungle trails and wildlife. It is also one of the prominent places to visit in Singapore for free.
Travel Tip: Skip VivoCity and walk across the Sentosa Boardwalk.
3) Gardens by the Bay– is one of the main free things to do in Singapore. The garden, with its surreal landscape, is a must-visit Singapore attraction. The garden is known for its Supertree grove. The Supertree is a vertical garden that is home to more than 300 species of plants.
Travel Tip: Visit at night when all the Supertrees are lit up.
4) Haw Par Villa– is a beautiful park with life-size statues and dioramas telling various stories from Chinese mythology. Learning Chinese mythology and visiting the “Ten Courts of Hell” in the park are some of the free things to do in Singapore.
Travel Tip: It is an ideal place to learn about the moral values of Chinese mythology.
5) National University of Singapore Museum– has an excellent museum featuring historical artifacts, paintings, Chinese ceramics, and sculptures. The museum also houses an exhaustive collection of Lee Kong Chian and Ng Eng Teng.
Travel Tip: Enjoy museum hopping, which includes five museums in the city.
6) Changi Airport– enjoy many freebies available at the airport if the time before the next flight, such as the butterfly garden, see the world’s largest indoor waterfall, or relax in the TV lounge or massage chair.
Travel Tip: Take a free city tour available at Changi Airport if you have a few hours.
Things to do in Singapore for free:
There are many free things to do in Singapore for the enjoyment of anybody. Visitors can do them to get the memorable Singapore experience.
1) Free art tour – are the art collections made accessible to non-guests by several Singapore hotels. Enjoy the art collections at places such as Pan Pacific’s Public Art Space, the Ritz-Carlton Millenia, Gillman Barracks, and Marina Bay Sands.
Travel Tip: The Marina Bay Sands has a water and light show at 8 pm.
2) East Coast Park– is the perfect beach to swim, lounge in the sun, and escape the crowds. Kids and young teenagers love the Marine Cove playground, where they can enjoy slides, rock climbing walls, and digital game stations.
Travel Tip: Take a bike on rent to explore the park.
3) Esplanade- Theatres on the Bay – is located on the river and is known for its controversial architecture. It is known for hosting free outdoor music events and short film screening.
Travel Tip: Go to the rooftop to have great views of the city.
4) Hiking– is one of the exciting free things to do in Singapore. There are many beautiful places for hiking in Singapore. MacRitchie Reservoir’s Treetop Walk or hike is trendy due to the long suspension bridge soaring above the rainforest canopy. Also, Southern Ridges has the best walking trails in Singapore.
Travel Tip: Take a walk at Changi Point Coastal Walk and enjoy watching planes flying from Changi Park.
5) Scenic views of Singapore– can be enjoyed from the ION Sky, located on top of 56 stories ION Orchard Shopping Mall. One gets a bird’s eye view of Singapore and even neighboring Malaysia or Indonesian Islands.
Travel Tip: Visit on a clear day or early evening to get the most panoramic views.
6) Cheap shopping in Singapore- Singapore is known for its diverse shopping scene. Chinatown street market is known as the hub of cheap shopping in Singapore. Enjoy shopping for clothes, household goods, and other things at bargain prices. Another favorite place for cheap shopping in Singapore is the Little India district.
Numerous shops are selling traditional Indian clothes and other products at very reasonable prices. Many parts of former British Army barracks, Dempsey Hill, are suitable for cheap shopping in Singapore. The barracks have been converted to warehouse shops from where one can purchase antiques and artifacts at bargain prices.
Travel Tip: Visit the Mustafa Centre for buying anything you want under the sun!
So, we hope this list of top free attractions in Singapore and things to do in Singapore for free helps you enjoy your Singapore visit on a budget. Singapore is well connected via numerous buses. You can book bus tickets for any inter-city and intra-city bus routes in Singapore via redBus.
All the information about any bus route or online bus tickets booking on redBus is hassle-free and convenient both from the site and from the mobile app. Book online bus tickets in a few easy steps with several discounts and deals from redBus to save time and money. So visit all the places to visit in Singapore for free with redBus and have a memorable holiday.